The process of taking oxygen into the cells, using it for enrgy release & then eliminating the waste products like CO2 & H2O is known as respiration.
It is a very slow process. A number of enzyme help in the process of respiration.
The process of taking in O2 rich air into the lungs & giving out carbon dioxide rich air is known as breathing.
Breathing process include 2 steps -
The process of taking in air is called inhalation.
Giving out of air is called exhalation.
Breathing involves only exchange of gases.
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BREATHING & RESPIRATION
TYPE OF RESPIRATION
There are 2 types of respiration
I Aerobic respiration :
- In this types of respiration complete oxidation of glucose take place & CO2, H2O & Energy are released.
- Aerobic respiration takes place in the presence of oxygen & is carried out in the bodies of almost all living animals & plants
II Anaerobic respiration :
- In anaerobic respiration, there is incomplete oxidation of glucose CO2, ethyl alcohol & energy are the end products.
- Anaerobic respiration takes place in the absece of oxyen .
- Yeast & some bacteria show anaerobic respiration.
- Anaerobic respiration in microorganism present in food & alcohol causes fermentation.
ANAEROBIC RESPIRATION IN HUMAN
- During excessive physical exercise, anaerobic respiration takes place in muscle to produce lactic acid.
- The accumulation of lactic acid in the muscle cause fatigue & pain.
RESPIRATION IN PLANTS
- Like all other living organisms, plants also respire for their survival. They also take in oxygen from the air and give out carbon dioxide. During this process most of the plants use atmospheric oxygen to break down glucose into carbon dioxide and water with the release of energy.
- In plants, breathing takes place through tiny holes or openings call