REACHING THE AGE OF ADOLESCENCE
The period of life, when the our body undergoes changes, leading to reproductive maturity, is called adolescence.
- The period of transition from childhood to adulthood is called adolescence.
- Adolescence begins around the age of 11 and lasts upto 18 to 19 years of age.
- This period covers the 'teens' (13 to 18 or 19 years of age), adolescents are also called 'teenagers.'
The start of the time when a boy is biologically ready to become a father, and a girl is biologically ready to become a mother.
1. What is adolescence ?
2. Define puberty.
3. Adolescents are generally called teenagers. Why ?
CHANGES AT PUBERTY
Calculation for full height (cm):
One can use this formula and table to work out how tall he or she is likely to be.
Increase in Height :
- The most conspicuous change during puberty is the sudden increase in height. At this time the long bones, that is, the bones of the arms and the legs elongate and make a person tall.
- The rate of growth in height varies in different individuals.
- Height of an individual is more or less similar to that of some family member. This is because height depends on the genes inherited from parents. It is , however, very important to eat the right kind of food during these growing years. This helps the bones, muscles and other parts of the body get adequate nourishment for growth.
Change in Body Shape :
- In boys shoulders generally broaden as a result of growth.
- In girls, the region below the waist becomes wider.
- In boys, the muscles of the body grow more prominently than in the girls
Voice Change :
* At puberty, the voice box or the larynx begins to grow.
Boys develop larger voice boxes. The growing voice boxes
in boys can be seen as a protruding part of the throat called
- In girls, the larynx is hardly visible from the outside because of its small size.
- Generally, girls have a high pitched voice,