Class 8 Social Science Manufacturing Industries
· Industry : An economic activity that is concerned with production of goods. extraction of minerals or provision of services.
· Manufacturing : The conversion of raw materials into useful commodities.
· Cottage Industry : Industry carried by members of a family in their home.
· Basic Industry : The industry which serves as a base for the growth of other industries.
· Consumer Industry : The industry whose goods are directly used by consumers.
· Industrial Regions or Complexes : Industrial regions or complexes are those areas where Industries cluster together to take advantage of the raw materials available.
· Infrastructure : Development of social and economic structure which forms the basis of overall development of a country.
· Public Sector Industry : Industry which is controlled by the Government and is run for the welfare of the people.
· Private Sector Industry : Industry owned by individuals or private persons and is run for the motive of gaining money.
· Primary Products : Products obtained from nature directly like agriculture, animal husbandry, mining etc.
· Secondary Products : Products obtained from factory where the primary product is being processed into consumer goods like, cloth, sugar etc.
· Raw Materials : Crude materials or mineral ores which can be processed into a fine product.
· Perishable : Materials which cannot be sustained and are liable to decay or spoilage.
· Synthetic Fibre : Fibre obtained and synthesised from chemicals especially hydrocarbons e.g., nylon, rayon etc.
· Flux : A substance that reduces the melting point of a mixture.
· Infrastructure : Inputs or local facilities required for the establishment and growth of industrial unit.
· Information Technology : A system through which we can store, process and distribute information at great speed with the help of computers, calculators, telephones etc.
· Industrial System. A system in a production unit which comprises inputs, processes and outputs is known as industrial system.
· Industrial Disaster. The mishappening or disaster occurring at ,industrial level is known .as industrial disaster. This disaster occurs due to technical failure or ill handling of hazardous materials.
· Smelting. Extracting of metals from their ores is known as smelting. The process requires melting point heat.
Classification of the industry on the basis of
On the Basis of Capital Investment
· Large scale Industry :
1. Employ a large number' of labQurers.
2. Huge investment i.e. lnore than f crore is involved in large scale industry.
· Small Scale Industr